I can hear you - - - Can you hear me?


The three collections I post in most often on my Google profile are: my "Social Media" collection, related to the branch of communications I work in, my "Ford related stuff" collection which is related to the client / account I currently work for and my "Direct Messages" collection which is private communication.

Obviously YOU can not see my "Direct Messages" collection, only I can. Though each post I make in my "DM" collection is visible to me and the person or people I have shared the post with. It's my OutBox, only it doesn't suck like email.

The one fly-in-the-ointment with using private posts to communicate with people is that people are generally better at going and checking their emails than they are at choosing once to be informed when someone has communicated with them.

It is not difficult to make sure that you are aware if and when a person shares a private post with you.
  1. Choose the who can notify you.
  2. Have the mobile App installed.
  3. Make sure to login .... duh!

"I don't check or login to Google+"

There's a lot of confusion about what Google+ is and people will often say things like "I don't check or login to my Google+ account".

Note: There is no such thing as a "Google+ account" - Google+ is just a social communication service which you can have (or not have) on your Google account: much like Gmail, or YouTube, or any of many Google services.

If you're using a Google account for any Google service you ARE logged into your Google account and (if you have allowed some notifications for Google+) you will see when someone has shared a private message, or mentioned you across almost all Google websites in O.G.B: see that RED notification number in the top right of the Google homepage?
That opens the notification draw in the "One Google Bar" which is across *all Google services.  Click the red number to open, read and respond to mentions and private posts, or notifications from other services like Google Photos.

If you;'d rather not you need never go to Google+ itself to see or interact with notifications if you do not wish to; but you can still know and see when someone has written to you or mentioned you.

Remember only notifications you have chosen to allow will appear in the one Google Bar. I hear you. Do you hear me?

*Confusingly not YouTube any longer.

Comments

Popular Posts